Sunday, October 5, 2014

Cyanogenmod battery problem

A few days ago I wrote about how I fixed Huawei Y300. I must admit that I like Cyanogenmod very much. It's much faster and stable than stock Android that came with the phone.
But after first day of use I've noticed that battery life was terrible. In settings I switched the battery indicator to percentage (Battery status style > text) so that I can get better insight of battery consumption. Every couple of minutes battery went down for 1%. I checked the settings again and switched display brightness to Auto. Battery consumption seamed unchanged.

Then I googled it. After some search I found out that you need to re-calibrate battery after installation of new Android rom. I found this app called "Battery Calibration" that claims to do just that:
Calibration needs to be done after flashing a new ROM, but you can calibrate any time you think your battery is miscalibrated. This program does it by removing the batterystats.bin system file. The OS generates a new clean batterystats file soon, thus any fake information from the previous ROM is removed.
It's suggested, but not necessary, to let the phone fully discharge after calibration, then charged to 100% without break.
App is very simple. Just charge your battery to 100% and then press "Battery Calibration". After that you should fully discharge your phone.



After I calibrated battery it got better. Phone was with WiFi on for about 30 h without charging and it's now at 62%. So far so good.

Update: after the calibration battery lasted for 72 h 36 min. WiFi was always on, I made approximately 10 shorter calls and browsed the Internet for 3 h.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tip, I will try it in my Cyanogen+i9300.
    Can I remove the app after the calibration or must I maintain it in the smartphone?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can remove the app after calibration. This app really helped me a lot, I hope it will increase battery life on your phone too. Good luck!

      Delete